COVID-19 SAFETY PLAN
Pandemic Policies & Procedures for Osteopathy at
Island Optimal Health & Performance Clinic
Island Optimal Health & Performance is committed to ensuring the highest standards of safety at all times, but even more so during COVID-19. Below is an in depth list of the various levels of precautions we are taking at this time as well as patient expectations and procedures for treatment. The following protocol, if carefully followed, minimizes risk of transmission of the virus that causes COVID-19.
COVID-19 Screening – All Patients & Practitioners Must ‘Screen Green’
All patients and practitioner must be free from COVID-19 Symptoms, which include:
- Fever, cough, shortness of breath
- Flu or cold-like symptoms
- Generally feeling unwell
- Diarrhea, loss of smell, or taste
All patients and practitioners must be free from COVID-19 Exposure:
- Must NOT have been in close contact with someone with COVID-19 or any flu or cold-like symptoms in the past 14 days
- Must NOT have travelled outside of British Columbia in the past 14 days
- Have NOT been in close contact with anyone who has travelled outside of BC in the past 14 days
Anyone who is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or has been (potentially) exposed to COVID-19 will not be permitted to enter the clinic facility at this time. If you have an appointment booked and need to cancel or re-book or if you have any questions please call the clinic. Alternatively, you have the option to have a Telehealth (online) session rather than an in-person appointment if you are symptomatic or have been exposed to COVID-19.
Patient Expectations and Procedures
The following is a list of expectations for individuals entering the clinic for treatment.
- Please do not come to your appointment if you are sick or have experienced cold or flu-like symptoms in the past 14 days, if you are required to self isolate due to travel or have been exposed to Covid-19 in the past 14 days. Please refer to our ‘Screen Green’ guidelines above. Practitioners will also screen patients before treatment and document the screening in the patient chart.
- Please contact the clinic to cancel appointments as soon as you are aware that you cannot keep your originally scheduled appointment. Cancellation fees will be waived at this time.
- We are asking that patients come to their appointment alone and that anyone accompanying them wait outside the clinic. Please leave children at home or contact the clinic so we can make appropriate safety arrangements. Young patients may be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Patients are strongly encouraged to bring their own mask and will be required to wear a mask for osteopathic treatment.
- Please limit the number of items brought into the clinic.
- Unless it is absolutely necessary, we are asking patients to limit use of our washroom facilities.
- Please arrive at the clinic doors no more than 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. For this initial re-opening phase, please prepare to wait outside the clinic doors until your practitioner comes to collect you.
- Upon entry into the clinic all patients are expected to sanitize their hands with an alcohol based hand sanitizer, which will be provided at the clinic.
- Please maintain physical distance with staff and fellow patients while at the clinic.
- Patients should avoid touching their face with their hands during their appointment.
- If anyone needs to cough or sneeze at any point, please advise the practitioner as soon as possible and direct it into a tissue or sleeve at the elbow. Sanitization will then be required again.
- Post treatment, your practitioner will escort you to Island Optimal reception. At reception, please use the alcohol based hand sanitizer provided at the desk and avoid placing your belongings on the reception desk.
- Ensure physical distance is maintained and respectfully communicate with reception through the desk shield.
- Patients are encouraged to pay with non-cash transactions.
Practitioner/Staff Clinic Procedures and Policies
The following are measures that our practitioners and staff are taking to keep our environment safe. These are the minimum measures and more sanitation will be taking place as well.
- Practitioners will thoroughly wash their hands immediately for at least 20 seconds with warm water and soap before welcoming the patient into the clinic for treatment.
- Following the treatment the practitioner will disinfect their hands and immediately clean any area used with the patient with disinfectant. This includes any equipment, treatment tables, door handles and any other item used.
- After sanitizing, practitioners will then thoroughly wash their hands again for at least 20 seconds with warm water and soap.
- Practitioners will have available to them gloves and surgical masks to be used at their discretion.
- A glass screen is installed at the reception desk.
- Deep cleaning with disinfectant in the common area and ‘traffic areas’ will happen during the day at regular intervals and/or as needed and at the end of the day. This includes but is not limited to the reception area, washrooms and other clinic areas.